You want it? Then make it happen! (A quick look at the power of intention)
Two friends are chatting about their diets. The first one says, “I want to be healthy and feel great.” The second one says, “I intend to be healthy and feel great.”
Which one do you think is going to get healthy and feel great? Yep – the one who intends it.
Wanting is simply wishing you can have or do a particular thing.
Intending means you’re committed to achieving your goal by making a plan for success… and sticking to it!
The fuel for desired results
The key to intention is action and both aspects take practice. Try these exercises to build your intention muscle:
- Get clear on what you want. Create a vision board by gathering images and words that pertain to your goal. Glue them onto a large piece of construction paper and hang the collage in a spot where you’ll see it often. Alternatively, use an online service like Pinterest to create a digital vision board.
- Break your desire down into small, achievable steps. Pick one and make it happen. For example, let’s say you want to eat four servings of vegetables a day. Your first action could be to go to a fresh produce market and stock up.
- Celebrate your achievement! Don’t forget to congratulate yourself for meeting your goal – positive reinforcement makes habits stick…
How to have a great day… every day!
Did you know that you can set an intention to have a great day? Rather than diving into your morning and hoping you’ll achieve your big goal, take a moment to set yourself up for success.
This “Setting an Intention to Succeed” exercise is used by professional athletes, speakers, politicians, and performers:
- Upon waking, lie in bed and think about what you have planned for your day (or, find a quiet spot to sit and contemplate).
- Think about your desired outcome. Take a deep breath and visualise yourself succeeding.
Replay your success several times in your mind.
- Next, add other senses, including sounds, smells, and touch. For instance, as you replay your success, you now also hear your boss offering you a promotion, or you feel the physical sensation of your finger hitting the “send” button on your latest assignment.
- Lastly, replay the scene again, adding emotions. Feel your elation at getting the promotion, or your pride at finally finishing your work.
Can you see, touch, taste, hear your success? Brilliant, then you’re halfway there! You can perform this visualisation throughout the day as desired (tip: often is good!).
Get even healthier!
Do you intend to lose weight, eat healthily and feel fantastic? Decide to succeed by getting the support you need! As a holistic health coach, I specialise in helping people make diet and lifestyle changes that suit their unique body, preferences and goals. Ready to get started? Schedule an initial consultation with me today. Click here.